Top Social

Step by Step Guide: Pasta Sauce (Gravy) From Scratch

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

This weekend I had the family over for a nice Sunday dinner. It was decided pretty last minute that it was at my house and I had no idea what to make. My husband muttered something about really wanting meat balls and I decided, "hey...why not put together a nice sauce". In my household my mother's pasta sauce is legendary. My brother scoffs at any sauce that isn't just like hers. So, instead of even trying to compete, I just decided to put together my own. My mothers sauce is made tediously, carefully and slowly. She hovers over it making sure there are no chunks... a perfectly smooth sauce. So, I decided I would make mine very chunky!

Mimi's Homemade Pasta Sauce

Ingredients:
2 Large Cans of Large Peeled Tomatoes in Sauce
1 Large Can of Tomato Puree
1 Small Can of Tomato Paste
1 Small Yellow Onion
2 Cloves Garlic
3/4 Cup Vegetable Broth
Olive Oil
Salt
Pepper
Dried Basil
Dried Oregano
Dried Pepper Flakes
Parmesan Cheese
Baking Soda

Don't forget to click the link below to see the rest of the recipe!



Instructions

1. Grab a large sauce pan and drizzle some olive oil in it - just coating the bottom.



2. Roughly Chop your onion and crush your cloves of garlic.



3. Heat the oil and add the onions - cook until translucent. Add the garlic and cook, for a minute or so, to release the flavors.

5. Add the two large cans of peeled whole tomatoes and tomato puree.



6. Add the vegetable stock and stir.

7. Grab your dried spices and add two pinches of each into the sauce. Next, add your salt and pepper to taste.


8. Add about two small palm fulls of your Parmesan cheese, one tiny pinch of baking soda and your tomato paste. *You do not need to add the whole can of paste. Just add it bit by bit until you reach your desired sauce thickness.



9. Bring your sauce to a boil. After boiling, reduce heat to low and place a cover, tilted, on the top (so steam can get out) and let simmer for as long as you possibly can. The longer the better. If you are in a pinch, I would say 30 minutes.

10. Right before serving, grab a tomato masher and slightly crush the tomatoes in the sauce - breaking them slightly apart but leaving a good amount of chunks. When serving, grab one dollop of ricotta and place in bottom of bowl. Add your favorite pasta and top with your sauce. Stir that good stuff up and you will have one delish meal!


Post Comment
Post a Comment

Nice comments only, please!

Auto Post Signature

Auto Post  Signature