Top Social

A Book to Read: The Goldfinch

Thursday, June 12, 2014


I was an English major in college. I'm sure that horrifies some of you due to the quality of my grammar. I send my deepest apologies to each and every one of my college professors.

I didn't choose English because I wanted a career writing or teaching. I chose the subject of English simply because I love a good book. I love a book at wakes up your imagination and touches a place deep in your soul that only a book can do.

A truly good book allows two magical worlds to collide - that of the author and the reader. The author composes a symphony of words that illuminate every single page. The reader molds, colors, and conducts that symphony with singular and personal eyes. One single book can resonate and touch any number of people in so many different ways because of that beautiful collision.

The Goldfinch is one of those books.





The Goldfinch follows the life of a young man named Theo who loses his mother in a tragic event that he survives. Donna Tartt breathes beautiful, authentic and complicated life into the book's protagonist as she chronicles the impact of the loss of his mother and the events of that day. The paragraphs are long, eloquent and descriptive and the characters (most of them) are developed richly. It exposes the flaws and beauty each person possesses in way that causes the reader to yearn for more. To learn more. To understand more. To understand the impact that one day, one event can change the course of a young man's life.

This book has a genuineness in that it doesn't paint a love story or a truly happy ending - it exposes life for what it is - a hard, passionate, beautiful, terrifying and tragic adventure. I highly recommend it.





Post Comment
Post a Comment

Nice comments only, please!

Auto Post Signature

Auto Post  Signature