Top Social

Roasting Sunchokes!

Thursday, March 31, 2016

What the heck is a sunchoke you ask?

Definition: It is a herbaceous perennial plant growing to 1.5–3 metres (4 ft 10 in–9 ft 10 in) tall with opposite leaves on the lower part of the stem becoming alternate higher up. The leaves have a rough, hairy texture and the larger leaves on the lower stem are broad ovoid-acute and can be up to 30 centimetres (12 in) long and the higher leaves smaller and narrower.

In other words, it's delicious. 

For those of you who haven't eaten one before, when cooked, they taste very similar to a potato impregnated by an artichoke. Quite fabulous. I had been completely neglecting my sunchoke consumption until I read that post. So, as I entered Whole Foods later that day, I was on high alert for sunchokes.



I found a lumpy little pile, filled up a bag and ran home to cook some of this goodies up. Here's how:

Ingredients:
Bag of Sunchokes
Salt
Pepper
Basil
Dried Garlic (or Fresh!)
Olive Oil

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 400. Thoroughly wash your little tubers and slice in 1/2 inch slices.


2. Drizzle oil on top and sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic and basil. Toss em' around to coat.


3. Bake in the over for 40-50 minutes. I like my chokies nice and crispy so adjust the temperature and cooking time to your liking and enjoy!

Post Comment
Post a Comment

Nice comments only, please!

Auto Post Signature

Auto Post  Signature